Django 4.0 has been released, so it’s time to plan the upgrade from 3.x. Here are some important things to note about the upgrade:
- The latest 3.x-release is 3.2, which will receive security and “data loss” fixes until April 2024. Any 3.x-release before 3.2 will no longer receive updates or fixes. It’s time to upgrade to 3.2!
- Django 4.0 drops support for Python version <= 3.7. Django 3.2 still supports Python 3.6 and 3.7
- Django 4.0 drops a number of features that have previous been deprecated in 3.x. More details about these features can be found in the “deprecated” section of the previous releases: Django 3.0 deprecated features, Django 3.1 deprecated features
- If you are using
DeleteViewwith custom logic in
delete(), you should make yourself familiar with the new logic.
More links to the official docs:
- Official Django guide: How to upgrade Django to a newer version
- Django 4.0 release notes
- Timeline of Django’s supported releases and future roadmap.